Wednesday 4 July 2012

The "Touch" Effect

Can iPad replace my laptop? Not likely. Yet this thin and slick slate of art has conquered a big portion of my daily life. It's hard not to notice how iPad has replaced my Asus laptop in many of my daily routine. From checking mail to surfing the web, most of my daily tasks as a lecturer could be done smoothly without my laptop. I can open and edit my slides with the Keynote app, manage my webmail with Safari, view word documents through Pages app, download and view my invigilation timetable through Numbers, I can even kill some free time reading my favourite magazines on iBooks and Flipboard. Occasionally, I keep in touch with friends through Facebook. And by the end of the day, while I finally lie on the bed, I start to realise that I haven't even touch my laptop at all! 

That's what happen to many of us these days, and it's not surprising. If you pay more attention while you walk along the streets, more and more people are holding tablets, and it's not just a trend, it has turned into a habit. I could still recall seeing my mum attempting to scroll her laptop screen with finger gestures last weekend. It also happened to my friend when she was trying to explain to me the content of a PDF file on my laptop. We have changed the way we interact with devices, just like the way we change the way we interact with people, and most importantly, the way we interact with we daily tasks, ALL because of this small and thin piece of aluminium. 

So if you ask me again whether my iPad can replace my laptop? I will still say NO, yet I won't deny that there's a possibility that it might or will really change the way we interact with technology in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment