Wednesday 5 October 2011

A Teacher's Tale (In remembrance of Steve Jobs)

as an English teacher, it's hard to imagine how much had Steve inspired me all this while. He really affected me a lot in the usage of technology in teaching.I I always like to watch the Apple product advertisement, it's so amazing to see the way Steve and his team brought out the whole atmosphere of the product, how they emphasized on the advantage of their product, and how he managed to outshine other manufacturers. The ads have given me lots of ideas in creating my lessons. Almost everyday I would sit down in front of my laptop, watching Apple's ads. The iPad2 and Macbook Air ads, for instance, have given incredible inspirations to recreate a more appealing English aural & oral lesson, which can help me to attract students attention and interest, just like the way Steve attracted the viewers' attention, and at the same time, draw them to become his customers. Students' attention and interest are vital in Education. Without that essential element, we as teachers will never be able to reach their heart. I still remember how I used to hate English when I was in secondary school. The teacher was awful and her teaching was dry and extremely teacher-centred, most of us slept in the class during the lesson. I would rather buy and read a reference book than attending the class. That's exactly what I'm trying to change. Steve Jobs always believe that he could change the world, that his products make the world a better place, that's the spirit I always try to keep in mind. I know very well that I'm no Steve Job, but I do believe that, by having faith and strong confidence in myself, I can change the way children learn their language. I can still recall the nights I spent hours and hours watching Steve's keynote presentation. His speeches are legend. And his skills in luring us to believe in his ideology really amazed me, and it still amaze me until now. He was definitely one of the best speakers I've ever seen. Besides his skills of insulting his opponents in a homourous and extremely sarcastic manner, he also has the ability to influence his listeners to truely engage themselves in his speech, his eye contact and his manipulation of playful hand gestures, his lively expressions really make every keynote that he hosted more like a live concert. If only We can bring this excitement into our English classroom, the world will truely become a better place. Another aspect of Steve that I truely salute was his everlasting enthusiasm in work. For him, every single product of his is a masterpiece. Everything, including the one and a half minutes Apple advertisements. He involved himself in almost every production process. From small stuff like advertisements to big thing like product design. Everything hold the same weight for him. He felt the excitement in designing a Macbook, the same way as creating a 15 pages slideshow for a keynote presentation. He is the guy that can cry while watching a simple advertisement video, and would frown over tiny little mistake that team had made. He is the kind of man who would spend the whole sleepless night just to plan a five pages slideshow presentation and he's the guy who would tear off a retail store design model which was built in almost one year, just because it didn't fulfill his expectation. That's what he is. And his persistents and energy in making things right are what we should learn, as an English teacher, for teaching is also a creative profession. Steve, I will still spend every night in front of my iPad, watching your keynote, learning your presentation skills. R.I.P Steve Jobs. My Hero

No comments:

Post a Comment