Thursday 8 September 2011

The Aggresive Approach to Eliminate Attacks

In the previous posts, I've had articles which touch on cyber security. I've done some brief review on antivirus software like Avast and Microsoft Security Essential. So these antivirus protect our system in real time, which means that it continuously monitor your system in the background while you continue your tasks as usual. It is like having a security guard patrolling your neighbourhood. No doubt this method is effective in protecting your system and personal data most of the time, but what if the malware suddenly gone wild and manage to slip through your security protection? How can we protect our data from being chewed by the malware?

Four years ago, I came across this crazy company named Dr.Web. http://drweb.com/?lng=en. That time I was still a naive kid with no experience in computer.  Something terrible happened which first generation compaq Presario V3000 suddenly turned unbelievably sluggish. Pop-up kept turning up, asking me to install some weird antivirus programme to clean my pc. Of course I was fool enough to believe in those scam, but what should I do? Even after trying all kinds antivirus software from freeware to trialware, that thing just refused to go off! Just the time when I was in desperation, I got to know about this weird app named Dr.Web CureIt! (not that I wanna exaggerate, the exclamation mark is actually part of the app's name). It's free and it doesn't require any installation, that's exactly what I need on my dying Windows XP. The scanning took up an hour, considering my large amount of files in the computer. After only an express scan,which last for a couple of minutes, it managed to dig out a pop-up trojan and solved my major problem. I was amazed and decided to run another complete scan. This time, it detected 8 trojans and 5 worms. After the scan, I rebooted my laptop and it ran smooth again. 


So that was my first impression of Dr.Web CureIt!.  In these four years, CureIt! had helped me to cure more many of my friends and family members' computer. Because it doesn't need installation, I can simply bring it along with me to help those who need the support. And best of all, the latest version comes with an even better feature, the enhanced operation mode. With this feature, you can run your CureIt! scan smoothly even if your system access were blocked by high risk malware. Most antivirus will have problem updating their antivirus definition when the access is blocked by high risk malware. But with CureIt!, you can still cure your pc even if your whole system were blocked.


The app interface is very simple, with only three options: Express ScanComplete Scan, and Custom Scan. The first option is fast, but only scan certain critical part of the pc; while complete scan check through all your drives thoroughly, which takes up more time; custom scan allows you to customize your scanning area, which you can omit your data drive if you just want to concentrate on the system partition. While a malware is detected, it will prompt for your action to either cure only that single malware or all malwares related. If it fail to cure the malware, it will prompt to quarantine or move it to a special folder, which you can delete after the scan.


Overall, the effectiveness of the app is excellent, but with a draw back. Users have to be careful while selecting infected files to be removed, as some the antivirus system files might be mistakenly diagnosed as malware. Thus, to be on the safe side, always check the file name and before you remove it.


You can download this app at http://www.freedrweb.com/. There's no update option for CureIt! You need to download a fresh copy at the website to ensure that the virus definition is up to date. If you really like this wonderful antivirus removal tool, you can also purchase a full update enabled version at http://estore.drweb.com/home/?lng=en. It comes with excellent features and certainly worth the upgrade.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment