Monday 5 September 2011

Pride and Prejudice

Ironically, no matter how much I would like to admit my hatred towards AVG free antivirus, it is the most popular security software in the world. Not only it is famous in the world of security, it is also one of the most downloaded software in the reputable CNET download.com. (you can refer to the MOST POPULAR DOWNLOADS section at http://download.cnet.com/windows/).  For so many years, AVG has been criticized by numbers users around the globe and yet it doesn't affect its popularity. Why is it so? Because of this reason, I promised myself that I would venture to test drive AVG on my laptop for a couple of weeks and value myself if it really worth a try. As the saying goes,"nothing ventured, nothing gained", so why not?

It's already been a week since I installed AVG free 2012, and I've almost reach the conclusion, just give a few more days and I'm good enough to let you know the result. So, in the next post, I'll sum up my experience and describe both the pros and the cons of AVG. No more prejudice and unreasonable bias, just fair judgment.

Note (Updated): My laptop crashed before I could conclude everything, so, well, the test was sort of incomplete. But, what I can say about AVG so far is that it pretty much slow down my system startup for approximately 15 seconds, more than other equivalent free antivirus. Yet, this doesn't mean that it is a resource hog. In most of my daily task, it doesn't take up too much memory, which make it quite pleasant to use. As far as I'm concerned, my Windows 7 laptop didn't really get infected by any viruses throughout the nearly a month of usage. Yet, as I said before, you do need some common sense at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment