Tuesday 20 September 2011

Epic's iPad 3 Concept Design

So, everyone is talking the coming iPad 3 design. And if you google "iPad 3", you certainly get various of suggested designs done to express how he or she thought the new iPad should look like. Since this is like the hottest topic around, I've decided to join the crowd, sketch out my IDEAL iPad 3! Enough with my grandmother story, let's check out my design :)




Though some suggested that the new iPad should be borderless, to increase the size of the screen and at the same time maintain the original size of iPad, I personally think that it will spoil the beauty of iPad. Thus, instead of getting rid of borders, I make it thinner, especially the side borders. But if it's thinner, the users will have problem holding the iPad, so I include a special non slippery glass surface at both side of the iPad, to ensure a firm grip while we use it for web browsing and book reading. I don't like the idea of making the iconic home button smaller or getting rid of it, because that's the only physical button that exist on the screen. So, instead, I reduce the thickness of the border, and add a LED backlit feature to the home button to make it more visible at low light condition.  Then, here comes the screen. While the "retina display" rumours are getting hotter, my version of iPad 3 will definitely come with one, which hopefully double the resolution of the iPad 2, just like what they did to iPhone 4. Moreover, the display will support motion and eye tracking 3D gaming as well! Finally, we will talk about the camera. In iPad 2, its front camera supports 720p HD video recording, while the back camera is quite poor, with only VGA quality. Kinda sucks isn't it? So I dump in 2 HD cameras for front and back. Both will support 1080p resolutions. It will also have a built in LED flash for low light video recording and photos. I know it sounds kind of absurd but it really is pretty awesome if they can include this feature. 


 
 Well, done with the front and back view, now we proceed with the side view. I've divided them into three sections: upper part, side view and lower part. Before I begin with the details, I would like to mention about the thickness of my iPad 3. The previous iPad is 8.8 mm thick, so I've decided to make it slightly slimmer, 6.8 mm, which is not too thin and not too thick. Just nice for iPad users to hold it while performing their daily tasks.

The upper part will feature 2 tiny but powerful stereo speakers and a mini subwoofer in the middle. It will be the first ever tablet that has a built in subwoofer!!! Pretty cool isn't it? (I know it sounds stupid :P) Though the sound quality won't be as good as Asus B&O ICE speakers, it will still produce a decent sound quality, considering its size. Why do I choose to change the position of the speakers upward? Because I've tried holding an iPad 2 while watching video clip in a lying position, and I actually felt that my thigh was blocking the speaker. Besides that, I've also changed the headphone jack position from the upper part of the iPad to the side. This is because I find it really awkward to plug in my earphone at the upper part of iPad 2, and my earphone cable seems to be blocking my view sometimes which is quite annoying. Hence, by making this changes, iPad users will have a more comfortable entertainment experience. 



The side of my ideal iPad 3 is quite similar to the previous model, including the volume control button, mute/ screen orientation lock button, and as I mentioned just now, the headphone jack.


Finally, the lower part of my iPad 3 will be simple, with just a dock connector, nothing more. I know some of you might ask me why I don't include a USB and HDMI port in this iPad. Well, sometimes we just can't chuck in everything we want to make it better, it might just spoil the simplicity nature of this gorgeous gadget. However, it would be fair enough if Apple could just put some consideration on reducing the price of their adapters and connectors. It will be a dream come true for many of us who are crazy about APPLE.



No comments:

Post a Comment